It’s a new dawn, and a new age for dating. Many are ready to throw the rule book out the window. While dating is less defined in this new era, and the lines have been slightly blurred. There are some rules we shouldn’t completely disregard.
1. Making the call.
- So you got her number. You lucky bastard. She doesn’t give it to just anyone. Why are you still only contacting her on social media? Facebook, Twitter, and Dating Apps will only get you so far. Take the romance off line. Men often say “The phone works both ways.” In the beginning, if you are truly interested in her, show some effort by calling, or texting first. She’s given you her number, use it.
2. Paying on the first date.
There are some exceptions to this rule. If she’s assertive enough to ask you out. She’ll pay the bill without hesitation. “Let’s meet up for drinks.” We have drinks with our friends, happy hour with our coworkers, and attend endless business meetings at bars, and pubs. Meeting up for drinks unless specified, is not a definitive date, and can lead to an awkward grey area. A clear sign a man is interested, if he asks to have dinner with you. It’s far more intimate than drinks, and requires some thought.
3. Easy with the flirtation.
Most women understand the art of leaving breadcrumbs. Just enough to peak one’s interest, but maintaining an air of mystery. A playful innuendo can sometimes lead to an off color remark, or seeing a little more of you than we’re ready for. Keep the conversation light. If you choose to be suggestive, at least be witty. Hold back from sending the full Monty until the time is right.
4. Giving her home court advantage.
It stands to reason in a city where you can have your laundry dropped off, wine delivered, and virtually any other service available 24/7, that one might become slightly complacent in regards to traveling outside their neighborhood. This was never more true than in New York City. A place so efficient, everything you need is right in your own borough. When you’re willing to travel and meet with her, it’s a good indication that you are considerate, and a gentlemen for accommodating her needs. A little effort goes along way.
5. Chivalry is dormant, not dead.
On any given day you can witness women on the city streets making way, and opening doors for men. But there is an unspoken code of conduct that old school gentlemen, and renaissance men alike, abide by. Walking on the outside of the street, opening the car door, and allowing her to order first. Even the position in which you are seated at the table has significance. Regardless how progressive a woman is, she’ll be sure to take note.
The most important thing a man can do is to make a woman feel special. As if no other woman exists but her. Having good manners, and being genuine will take you far. After all, we’re not asking you to go to the moon and back for us. Just maybe travel to Queens.
There’s nothing like an ice cold brew on a hot Summer’s day. Whether you’re looking to relax with friends, or get the party started. There is something for everyone to enjoy. Grab a seat, and kick your feet up, at some of the best beer gardens the city has to offer.
Studio Square Beer Garden, 35-33 36 Street, Long Island City
This vast beer garden packs two vibes in one venue. Chill out and soak up the sun in the afternoon. There are 20 beers on tap, and plenty of space for you and your friends to mingle. In the evening the DJ spins house music, and the scene becomes more lively. Once in a while, a scuffle breaks out between frat boys. Don’t worry, it’s all in good fun. It ain’t a party ’til something gets broken.
Bohemian Hall Beer Garden, 29-19 24th Avenue, Astoria
Just beyond the large wooden gate lies a picnic area perfectly shaded with tall trees, and umbrellas scattered throughout. You’ll be greeted with smiling faces in this beer garden meets block party courtyard. Grab a table and enjoy one of the many traditional dishes served, like Utopenec paired with a Staropramen from the tap. Relax and enjoy live music into the night. With budget friendly mugs at $6 and pitchers at $16, you can easily drink your way from A to Z.
Crown Victoria Bar and Beer Garden, 60 S 2nd Street, Brooklyn
A former police car repair shop, turned laid back bar and beer garden. In the confines of 9,000 square feet, comprised mostly of recycled materials. Play a game of ping pong, or bocce. Feast on the crunchy fish tacos as the DJ spins. Crown Vic boasts 30 whiskies, 24 beers on tap, and 10 specialty cocktails. All garnished with fresh herbs from the garden on site. Feel good while knocking them back, knowing you’re doing your part to leave less of a carbon foot print.
Loreley Restaurant and Biergarten, 7 Rivington Street, NYC
A solid place for beer and German fare, with plenty of seating in the otherwise limited space of the LES. Here all of the usual suspects can be found, from Spaten to Weihenstephan. The Loreley offers an array of sandwiches, pretzels, and snitzel fingers. Try the beer and sausage flight, and sample four different beers, and six types of sausage. Come for the beer, stay for the food.
The Standard Biergarten, 848 Washington at 13th Street, NYC
An eternally popular and trendy place for eating and drinking in the heart of the city’s social scene. The open air space below Manhattan’s beloved Highline has an authentic line up of German beer and brats. The biergarten, transitions nicely from a hip and bustling day drinking scene, to a fashionable hot spot in the evening. Heated lamps, communal tables, and a fully stocked bar make it impossible not to meet new and fabulous friends.
Greenwood Park, 555 7th Avenue, Brooklyn
A family friendly beer garden that feels more like a neighborhood BBQ. There are over 60 beers on tap here. Take your pick from German, Belgian, or Craft. Chow down on the honey sriracha wings as you wait your turn for bocce. On the weekends revelers can enjoy live music, and pig roasts. Don’t be surprised to see the stroller brigade roll in. Moms seeking relief from the hot Summer sun sip a cold one while bouncing a baby on their lap.
The highly anticipated film is finally here. While critics and fans can’t seem to agree, whether the movie is a hit, or a miss. It has opened a genuine dialogue between men and women. Much of the sentiment evokes eye rolling, and the mention of the character’s wealth, as the reason he’s captured our adoration. However, nothing could be farther from the truth, of the story that has compelled women everywhere to swoon.
1. Foreplay, It’s often underrated, and yet it’s an essential part of love making. Taking extra care to savor each moment. There is something to be said about the build up, and the anticipation of what is to come
2.Chivalry, A kind gesture. Women adore being led into a room while his hand is placed on the small of their back. Long after they marry, he continues to open the passenger door, and pull out her chair .
3. Sex Drive, He wants her, again and again. Everyday, and every night. Even if it means he’ll lose precious sleep. He burns with desire for her.
4. Complexities, He is not one dimensional. By being unpredictable, and full of surprises. He’s able to keep her on her toes.
5. Intelligence, His wit is disarming. The way to any woman’s heart is through her head. Foreplay, always begins in the mind. Seek to stimulate her intellectually first, and everything else will follow suit.
6. Driven/Decisive, He goes after what he wants. Sets goals, and obtains them. He’s not fickle in his thoughts, beliefs, or pursuits.
7. He Desires Only Her, This is perhaps one of the sexiest qualities a man can have. Women constantly throw themselves at him. But he only desires her. He seeks to possess her mind, body, and soul. He is completely unwavering in his love for her.
8. He Needs Her, She is his lifeline, and his talisman. This appeals to women on a molecular level. Wanting to save the world is not a quality only specific to men.
9. Being Cherished, He tells her at every turn just how beautiful she is. How much he adores her. It’s as if he’s been searching for her all his life. And she is never left to wonder if he appreciates her.
10. Family, He works tirelessly to protect his family. He will stop at nothing to keep them safe. Even if it means risking his own health, and well being.
Perhaps the best thing about the story, is the fact that some couples are trying new things as a result. Not all men will aspire to be like Christian Grey. Of course, it’s important to bear in mind this character is a work of fiction. But aren’t all the best men anyway?